Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Female Urethral Spasms-- how well has it worked?

I thought I should do an update and let you know how my own personal battle against urethral spasms has been going.

The muscle-building exercises have definitely helped me a lot. I have felt better this past year than I felt in the previous 16! While I use to have some discomfort nearly every month at various times in my cycle, now I go many months between episodes. When I do have a little discomfort, it is mild and easily resolved with massage and manipulation to re-position the uterus. I've also had fewer problems with my digestive system-- less constipation and painful gas. I've realized that many of those problems were also symptoms of my uterus moving about, putting pressure places where there shouldn't be pressure and constricting passageways that need to be open. The stronger muscle wall keeps everything in place better so that happens less.

I've continued to use the heaviest egg-shaped weight for maintenance. I can hold it in for long periods of time-- even during exercise now. I've experimented with trying to make it heavier-- by dangling additional weight from it, but I've concluded that mostly works the outer edge of the pelvic floor muscles and I think those are strong enough now. It seems like most of my muscles are quite strong but there is still a weaker side, deeper in. I've experimented with trying to hold in a heavier glass rod-- with hope that that shape would require more uniform muscle use rather than concentrating on the lower sections of muscle--but it's harder to grip and takes very focused effort and therefore hard to work into my normal daily routine. And honestly, like I think most people, now that my symptoms are so much less, I am less motivated to put in the work. I've likewise been lazy with using my Minna Kegel exerciser. That also works the interior muscles and I need to get back into the habit of routine use. I would like to make sure I fully maintain the muscle strength I've built up and hopefully make it strong all the way around.

For the background info on my experience and more info on the methods I've found to address it, check out these other posts.

Background

Treatment without surgery

Exercise weights

Minna Kegel exerciser

Kegel cliffnotes

1 comment: